lunes, 16 de octubre de 2017

Crazy Rich Asians, Kevin Kwan

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

I carried this 500-pages book for a week, which is the time that it took me to finish it, and people laughed a lot because of the title, I think that it was funnier since I am Asian, so this book is definitely an eye-catcher and the story it tells is eye-opening because it gives you an insight of a private world that you know for sure that you will never be part of.
I came across this book by accident like I did with Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren, and I think that it helped me enjoy the story even more since I didn´t really have high expectations for the story.
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan tells the story of Rachel Chu and Nicholas Young, the couple lives in New York and they are both professors at NYU. Nick invites Rachel to go to Singapore to attend his best friend´s wedding, and after thinking about it for a while, Rachel accepts and they are soon off to Singapore. As soon as they get there, Rachel realizes that Nick´s world isn´t like the one she knew of, his life is full of expensive things and exclusive treatment, and his family and friends are made out money. His grandmother lives in a house that is more of a palace rather than a humble home, as he mentions it; they have spectacular celebrations that look more like high-society gatherings; they have servants that want to prepare them showers and at least wash their hair; among other amenities that Rachel never thought about. While Rachel is discovering a side of the world that she never knew of Nick, she also finds out that Nick is the most wanted bachelor in the whole country, especially in the high-class society, and girls(including Nick´s family) are willing to do anything to get rid of Rachel because they believe that Nick deserves to get married to a girl from a wealthy family.
Like I said before, I didn´t think that I would like this story as much as I did, I mean, I am Asian and I grew up knowing that there are very wealthy families in those countries, so it is a world that I knew of, but didn´t really think about until I came across with this novel that opened the door for me to visit one of the most extravagant and luxurious societies in the world and I found the journey very fun and I just loved it, which has made me buy the two books that follow this novel.
I loved everything about this story, I loved the characters, the plot, the relationships and the writing.
There are many characters and it can get confusing from time to time, but the many characters create a very complete story and fill the scene entirely making it a very realistic story.
I really liked Rachel because she has a very normal and natural reaction to the environment and she is a very approachable character, she is like the ordinary woman and many could identify with her. Also, what made me really like Rachel is that she wasn´t annoying and she really tried to accept the life that she faced, she tried to make the best out of everything because she truly loves Nick.
On the other hand, Nick is the ideal man that every girl wants. He is smart, good-looking, funny and caring. when I started reading this novel, I wasn´t really looking forward to Nick because I thought that the story would make me focus more on the main characters, but honestly, there were so many sides to the story that it was hard to concentrate on them and it made me like Nick much more because the little bits that we got were the most special.
I liked Peik Lin because she is like the fairy godmother of this story, she buys Rachel a new closet and helps her throughout the journey, she is the best friend that everyone deserves to have. 
As much as I liked Peik Lin, I found a certain charm in Colin, Nick´s best friend, because they shared a lifetime together, they have a different friendship that stood out and I loved reading about their friendship. Also, who wouldn´t love Colin?
My favorite part of each character was that they all react and treat wealth differently and the way they treat it shows their personality a lot.
Although the story wouldn´t be the same without the characters, I just loved the plot because it has the ideal amount of romance, drama, gossip, and laughter. So, the plot really is something else because it is just AMAZING and you won´t be able to put the book down. 
Now, the relationships that each couple has was very fun to read about because they all have different relationships with each other, and therefore, bring different topics to the story that make it stand out from other books. 
There were three couples that I really liked: Nick and Rachel, Astrid and Michael, and Alistair and Kitty. 
I liked Nick and Rachel´s relationship because it is the ideal cute relationship that everyone dreams of, it is sweet and heart-warming. While Astrid and Michael´s relationship is the relationship that needs work, their story is like the typical contemporary novel that I read a lot about, their relationship gave the sense of stories like After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid and The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close. On the other hand, I only liked Alistair and Kitty´s relationship because it was super fun to read about them, Kitty wears a freaking see-through dress to meet the whole family! I think that I just laughed too much in that scene. 
I think that the one thing that I loved about the most of Kwan´s writing was the way he mixes Cantonese with English to write the character´s expressions, which makes them super special and unique, making you enter completely into the story and feel comfortable with the characters. Also, the small comments he added for the definitions of words were funny and seemed like he was introducing us the story directly, which created a closer author-reader relationship.
I think that the only thing that I didn´t like about this book was that the pages were too thin in my paperback edition, but that is totally okay because the story it delivered was amazing!
Overall, Crazy Rich Asians is a funny and dramatic reading that will guide you through a luxurious world that you would´ve never thought of, you will experience characters that seem to have come out from movies, and you won´t be able to put it down because you will not want to leave this world that seems to be very far from our reality. 
Also, I cannot wait for the movie! I am really excited!


5 out of 5 stars 


Love, Sua 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario