jueves, 24 de agosto de 2017

The Unexpected Everything, Morgan Matson

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

Once again, Morgan Matson impresses me with her amazing story! I loved this book and would read it over and over again!
Andie is the typical girl that has everything planned out for her this summer, she will be attending one of the best pre-med programs for high schoolers at Johns Hopkins and she´s really excited. That is until her father´s political campaign starts going down due to a scandal, which leads to a summer at home. Although it may sound fun to spend time with her friends, Andie feels lost to be left without a plan. At least she´s glad to be able to pass time with her friends, who are more than excited to have her with them. She will be able to part of the annual scavenger hunt!
On the other hand, Andie will have to spend time with her dad for the first time, which makes her feel uneasy since she´s so used to not having him around so much. But this means she will get closer to her dad.
Yet her plans seem to change when she has a fateful meeting with a cute guy named Clark, who seems adorable and shouldn´t last more than three weeks. Also, Andie decides to try a summer job, where she´ll be walking dogs throughout the day. 
Although Andie´s summer may not be what she wanted or expected, she is willing to have a good time with her friends and father.
My favorite part of the whole book was the fact that it is SO long! It is 519 pages without the bonus content that my paperback version included and it was pure magic!
I want to start this review by talking about the scavenger hunts that Palmer organized because they were extra fun and they reminded me a lot of Sloane´s list from Since You´ve Been Gone, not only because it included fun things, but because it made the group of friend come together and have a good time, and the best of all, live an adventure. Something that I really liked about this book was that other characters, like Andie´s friends, had their own story to worry about and their own problems that affected them. I decided to not include the friends´ story in this review on purpose because I thought it seemed more exciting to get to know them while reading instead of reading about them in a review. I just want to add a quick comment about how fun and amazing they are!
Moving on to the main characters, I will talk about Andie because there are more extended points I want to discuss that include Clark, the main love interest. So, Andie seemed like a very cool girl, she had her summer planned out, which is something that I love doing, she´s competitive, she´s fun and my favorite, she´s very independent and her father´s job shaped her that way, yet that´s one of the reasons why I liked her so much and hated her at the same time. I totally understood her excitement when she was organizing everything for her summer program because I will be attending one this summer at Harvard and I was excited since March when I got in! And it was very easy to see her disappointment whenever she wasn´t able to go, yet I believe she acted very mature and was very open to having a summer with her friends, I believe that was very brave of her because I am the type of person that HATES having plans cancelled when you have taken the time to care about them. Now, the part that I didn´t like was her policy of not dating someone for a long amount of time because it seemed very immature. She had found the perfect person, she mentions how great it feels to be with Clark, yet she kind of plays with her own emotions and hurts herself most of the times. Another thing that I would like to mention is her position between her friends because there is a time when they are fighting and everyone´s responsible, but I could understand why she made that decision, which made me feel neutral about her actions. My favorite thing about her was that she was always ready to start trying new things, like walking dogs as a summer job. In general, I liked Andie and was able to understand her simple rules (like the one about dating only for a short amount of time) because everyone has different ideals, yet I was angry at times, especially when it was about her relationship with Clark. 
Now, Clark is a character that I really liked. He is this adorable and cute looking guy that Andie meets and she actually likes him. Clark is a very funny character, he always knows what to say in an incredible and amazing way because he makes every conversation fun to read. But my favorite part of him was the fact that he is a writer since I write novels, it felt incredibly nice and comfortable to read about him doing so. I loved reading about this world where a writer was able to be part of because it may sound weird, but it felt different and very creative. I just want to describe Clark was adorable, funny and charming, which happens to be my combination for my perfect man. So, yes, Morgan Matson created a character that was similar to my perfect man. Oh, also, he´s a writer, a BIG BONUS.
Something that I loved about the book so much was the relationship that Andie starts building with her father because it seems to far away that it kind of feels like they have absolutely no relationship at all in the beginning and reading about their journey of creating one and actually bonding was beautiful because there are many people that don´t have close relationships with their parents and seeing how easy it was just making a choice to be with them and pass time with them changed a whole relationship and brought comfort to both people´s lifestyle.
My favorite part of the whole novel was the relationship parts. I believe that Morgan Matson gets to tell a perfect story that talks about friendships, family and love relationships in a book, where Andie gets second chances to surround herself with people she cares for. 
I recommend this book a lot, just like I do with every book of hers, but this one talked about many other things that actually felt very close to me and my ethics, and I believe that others will feel the same way. 

4 1/2 out of 5 stars 




Love, Sua


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario