miércoles, 12 de septiembre de 2018

How (Not) to Marry a Duke, Felicia Kingsley

How (Not) to Marry a Duke by Felicia Kingsley

First, I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to review this novel. This is one of the first NetGalley books that I have received since I have started to blog. And, I would also like to apologize for giving such a low rating for this novel.
As unexpected as it might sound, I was unable to actually finish this novel because I was too stressed and bored to continue and this novel.
This is a story about an arranged marriage. Well... sort of. Jemma Pears is the daughter of a hippie couple and by hippie, I mean that they are always naked in the house and they believe that they are spiritually connected to each other. So, yeah. Jemma´s grandmother has refused to be a direct part of the family, but she did leave certain instructions before she passed away. Jemma was to inherit billions, yet she could only get the money by marrying a man with a title, which is going to be extremely difficult for her since she isn´t the normal type. She likes hot salsa dancers and she is never holding back with her words.
On the other hand, Ashford, the Duke of Burlingham, is now in a big financial trouble. He has just inherited the family name, yet he barely discovered that he is to pay millions and if he doesn´t soon, he will be arrested. And he won´t let his mother, the crazy noble-woman, know because she will DIE.
So, Jemma and Ashford are united by a common friend/worker that they have and they are to get married just for the money.
When I first requested this title, I was sure that this was the type of novel that I would love. I mean, they are obviously going to hate each other because they are completely different and of course they were going to fall in love and of course there was going to be a lot of drama, especially because there was a crazy old woman that was going to hate Jemma so much.
But, honestly, this novel didn´t meet my expectations.
First, I want to talk about the things that I actually enjoyed about this novel.
As I stated before, the plot promised me that it was going to be a fun and refreshing story, one that would make me feel good and happy. I think the plot itself is extremely fun and it is a good one, it´s just that the way it was executed was bad.
Another thing that I liked was that it included the two points of view, which allowed each of the characters to have a voice and it also made the story much more special and funny in different aspects since the characters were different. 
On the other hand, there were many things that I disliked. For instance, the start is rather slow to be considered a short, romantic comedy novel. It literally took me like 30% of the novel to get to the part where they have to start living together. Yet, on top of that, the start is very boring. Imagine if the story is both boring and slow! I had to force myself to continue the novel and I told myself that I would do so at least until I reached the part where they were forced to live together since it was going to be inevitable for them to be together and of course, that would´ve led to some character and relationship development. 
In addition, the characters were really annoying to read about because they are literally walking stereotypes. In this world, Ashford is cocky and a horrible human being just because he has some money and a title, Jemma has a horrible fashion sense because she was brought up by hippie parents, and of course, because Jemma´s parents are "hippies," they walk around the house naked and of course, Ashford´s mother is completely horrible because she only knows about class and ranks. 
Also, I really want to mention how the characters are annoying in the sense that their tones are always extremely childish and that they don´t really care about anything else rather than themselves. 
Lastly, I think that since they were obviously depending on each other, Jemma and Ashford could´ve handled the situation better, keeping in mind that they are adults that have more than 25 years.
I have given this novel a very low score, but I want to mention that it is because I highly disliked this novel, yet I did keep in account the good things or the things that I enjoyed about this novel.

1 out of 5 stars 

Love, Sua


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario