jueves, 27 de julio de 2017

The Heartbreakers, Ali Novak

The Heartbreakers by Ali Novak


I just finished reading this novel and I will admit that I have felt the whole roller coaster of emotions.
Stella, Cara, and Drew are triplets and the bond they share is extremely crucial for their lives, just like everyone would expect, but there´s a catch to their pretty story. Cara has cancer and is obsessed with a band called The Heartbreakers. 
The Heartbreakers is a group formed by four guys, extremely good-looking, that make music and perform with instruments, yet their music is not necessarily considered "punk" because their marketing has decided to present them to the world as a pretty boy band with pop tunes, so Stella absolutely hates them. 
Cara´s birthday is coming soon and her siblings are aware of the fact that Cara was too sick to attend a concert from The Heartbreakers, so when Drew knows that they will be doing a signing, they take a LONG drive to get that autograph. On their way to the venue, they stop at Starbucks after Stella says that she cannot function without coffee. Yet, she gets more than just coffee. She meets a total cutie at the shop, who even pays for her coffee. But once they arrive and notice who The Heartbreakers are, she realizes that the adorable guy from the coffee shop is Oliver Perry aka Cara´s biggest crush, who also happens to be The Heartbreakers´ lead singer. 
After waiting three hours in line and not being able to get an autograph, they go to their hotel room and Stella has a fateful meeting with Oliver and his bandmates. Later that evening, they have fun in the pool and there may even be a hot and swoony making out session. But before the night is over, Alec asks Stella for the pictures she took during the evening, which may be the start of an adventure. 
And soon, Stella is traveling across the country with the most popular band while taking photographs and discovering love. 
I have so many things that I want to write about! 
First, I would like to start by talking about the characters. I liked Stella, but there were moments where I did feel like she was being too innocent and she was definitely not getting the hang of dating a band member. Also, she acted exactly the opposite of how she felt, which hurt her more and affected the relationship. Yet, I liked the aspect of her trying to act professional, trying to not create problems, and not get too deep into the whole pretty bubble of being with the band because she still had a sister she needed to go back to. So, in general, Stella was a character that I liked, especially because she has a great personality and is very fun to read about. 
On the other hand, Oliver was a little plain for me. He was sweet, charming, adorable, cute, and he even knows how to cook! But he didn´t quite get me because the story is so big that at some point, I felt that the book wasn´t able to cover many topics or scenes as it needed. Oliver gets very cute scenes and made me love him and he was such a little dork that I ended up loving him, but I wanted to see a little more to him, something other than apologizing, cooking or supporting Stella. 
Believe it or not, my favorite character was JJ! I LOVE him. JJ is the drummer of The Heartbreakers and he is amazing! He is funny and such a sweetheart. He kept me going throughout the novel with his weird pranks, perv moments, love for ketchup and cute nicknames like Butt Nugget. He gave me the amount of laughter that I needed in the novel. I believe that my liking of the story was impacted by JJ. Yet, I will admit that I loved the other guys too, although I wanted to see more from Xander, much more than just his diet and allergies. 
Aside from the member, I loved the bond that the triplets shared because although I don´t have twins, I have siblings that take care of me (I´m the youngest), and I liked reading how a sibling bond can change everything because my siblings and I are really close although we don´t express it. As much as I loved reading about the adventures of The Heartbreakers´ tour, there was a part of me that was eager to know more about Cara´s health improvement and Drew´s experience at college. I wanted the story to be more balanced between romance and family because I felt like we only encountered them suddenly.
Now, I will move on and talk about the story in general. At first glance, the story is something that I would TOTALLY read, the novel is basically what I feed the fangirl that lives inside me. So, when I read about it at Barnes and Noble, I knew that I had to buy it because it was going to be a perfect reading for me. It included cute band members, black skinny jeans, music, groupies, and a backstage pass. In other words, this book was perfect for me and I loved it! I liked reading about the band because I love bands, so it was normal for me to like the book and the adorable characters. 
Yet, what I loved the most about the novel was the musical aspect it included. The whole debating between band members for the new album (a little bit Panic! At The Disco Style) and marketing (them getting makeovers), and my favorite radio interviews! I loved that it included all sides of being in a band, from fights between best friends, silly pranks, crazy parties, new music, groupies and even crazy fan stories. This book was like the perfect fanfiction book that my fangirl needed. 
Now that I have finished, I just want to add how much this book reminded me of 5 Seconds of Summer because I LOVE them and the characteristics of the band members (like Xander´s pink hair!) reminded me of one of my favorite bands! Their whole desire of being Punk-Rock was so 5SOS and the skinny jeans and silly pranks reminded me so much of 5SOS.



I just wanted to add a picture of Michael´s pink hair because it reminded me of Xander´s.
Overall, I enjoyed this book because it really understood my fangirl self, as I have mentioned so much throughout the review, and it was extra fun (thanks to my lovely JJ). It is the type of book that you want to read in a single sitting and you won´t regret it. My only advice is that if you prefer books that are a little more mature, you have to take your time because the book is for ages 12 and up, and it did seem a little immature for me, yet I still enjoyed it.



4 out of 5 stars 

Love, Sua


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario